This weekend I got to witness the annual Pride Parade in Amsterdam. The parade lasted over 3 hours and was made up of floats on boats floating through the canals of Amsterdam. The dance music was so loud the streets were thumping with bass beat and the air was filled with swirling confetti and streamers being shot from the floats. The canals were lined with so many rows of people that I had trouble seeing anything but the tops of the floats. We took Max with us but he told me next year he wants to wear a costume ;o)

USA float
Today was the first day of my language course. I found the University on my own with plenty of time but we didn't end up having a formal lesson. We took an exam, of which I could complete about 1/10th, and therefore am an "Absolute Beginner"... which I could have told them, had they asked! Then I had to return again in to the University in the afternoon to be introduced to the the language laboratory, of which the only purpose is to use to software provided on CD with the course book. I am lucky enough to have the CD and my laptop here with me in Amsterdam and therefore do not plan on using the language lab. I still had fun even though the purpose of the meeting was silly. The instructor had somewhat limited command of English and so interjected Dutch phrases and hand gestures frequently. Towards the end of his speech he was telling us to "Make the most of this load!" and "Do not be like this: (and he proceeded to bow and rock forwards and backwards stiffly), but tell the Dutch 'NO!' They are a blunt people and do not understand why you all only say 'yes' to them! And do not speak to Dutch in English, they like to show off that they speak English! Pretend you are from Barcelona, and don't know anything." He also explained that you should not buy bikes on the street and always lock your bike with a lock made of steel, and lock it to something so that it may not be carried away... which he then acted out (stealing a bike). He was very inspirational, telling all of us Absolute Beginners to not be shy and to bond with each other, because classmates will best understand the intense feelings of vulnerability we suffer now. There are so many of us that we will be separated into 2 or 3 groups tomorrow. So far I know of a girl from Texas, and several people are from England, one guy is from Argentina, and another girl is from Australia. I am really excited to get to know everyone and make some friends! Wish me luck!
Today was the first day of my language course. I found the University on my own with plenty of time but we didn't end up having a formal lesson. We took an exam, of which I could complete about 1/10th, and therefore am an "Absolute Beginner"... which I could have told them, had they asked! Then I had to return again in to the University in the afternoon to be introduced to the the language laboratory, of which the only purpose is to use to software provided on CD with the course book. I am lucky enough to have the CD and my laptop here with me in Amsterdam and therefore do not plan on using the language lab. I still had fun even though the purpose of the meeting was silly. The instructor had somewhat limited command of English and so interjected Dutch phrases and hand gestures frequently. Towards the end of his speech he was telling us to "Make the most of this load!" and "Do not be like this: (and he proceeded to bow and rock forwards and backwards stiffly), but tell the Dutch 'NO!' They are a blunt people and do not understand why you all only say 'yes' to them! And do not speak to Dutch in English, they like to show off that they speak English! Pretend you are from Barcelona, and don't know anything." He also explained that you should not buy bikes on the street and always lock your bike with a lock made of steel, and lock it to something so that it may not be carried away... which he then acted out (stealing a bike). He was very inspirational, telling all of us Absolute Beginners to not be shy and to bond with each other, because classmates will best understand the intense feelings of vulnerability we suffer now. There are so many of us that we will be separated into 2 or 3 groups tomorrow. So far I know of a girl from Texas, and several people are from England, one guy is from Argentina, and another girl is from Australia. I am really excited to get to know everyone and make some friends! Wish me luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment