I am completely shocked that is has been a month since I updated my blog! The last month has flown by, thanks to the intensive Dutch course and the Dutch holiday, Sinterklaas. Sinterklaas may look and sound like Santa Claus, but it's debatable just how related the two present-delivering men in red coats are. I don't want to get into it now (I'm all Sinterklaas-ed out) but if you are interested in learning more, I wikipedia-ed it for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas. On Saturday, December 6, we had Ralph's mother's side of the family over to celebrate Sinterklaas. We had all drawn names ahead of time and had wrapped (anonymous) presents for eachother. Each present was accompanied with a funny poem, supposedly written by Sinterklaas, about the present or the person getting it, in Dutch. To fulfill my poem requirements, I drafted some ideas for my poems in English ahead of time and submitted them to my Dutch translator and poem-writer, Ralph. The presents were randomly handed out one at a time, and each person read the poem attached to their present before opening it. Everyone had fun hearing me read the poems written for me in Dutch. They were all at least a page long, so it took awhile! I was completely shocked and blush-faced when I realized that one of the poems I had to read was completely written about slang Dutch words to go with bodily functions. Sinterklaas apparently thought that my Dutch course couldn't teach me everything that I need to know, and the poem accompanied a roll of red "Merry Christmas" toilet paper. The night was a success, with lots of laughter and a very minimal amount of the arguing/fighting that I've heard can accompany the tradition of writing anonymous, "funny," poems about eachother (as I'm sure you can imagine!).
As of last Friday, I'm done with my intensive Dutch course. With my Dutch resume now written, I've begun the task of submitting it to employment agencies and daycares. I miss working with medicine, and I miss working with babies, so if I can get a job doing something related to either of those things I'll be happy for now. Right now my goal is just to make enough for a visit back to Minnesota for a week or two. Eventually, I think my Dutch will be good enough to take my nursing exams, but because the exams themselves cost money I'm not pushing it until I've had more practice with Dutch. I'm also playing with the idea of writing some short stories. My imagination is going wild with all this free time and a whole new perspective.
I'm watching my new favorite thing, "Where the Light is," the new John Mayer DVD right now. It's a DVD of a live concert, mixed with backstage clips and interviews with John. I am completely crazy about his music but I'm getting really mad listening to his interviews. The DVD opens with him basically complaining that his life has been so easy that it isn't fun anymore. Are you kidding me?! That takes number 1 for me of "the most ridiculous complaints I've heard about life." On the DVD he comes off as really arrogant at times but so intelligent that even the arrogance may just be a big joke to make his life more interesting. He may just do it because he can. Well just in case it isn't a joke: Hey John! Your life may be easy, but there are millions of people around the world who don't know what that's like. How 'bout you use your plethora of resources to work a little harder to make a difference in other peoples' lives by doing something to touch the people that are too poverty stricken to own a cd player. That's enough celebrity ranting for today. I still *love* his music. Check out his latest cover, Free Fallin'.
I realized a new thing about the Dutch recently. The attitude over here is so different than that of the midwest one I'm used to. People in the US are so quick to say "I'm sorry." And you can also say "I'm sorry" to show sympathy for something negative that someone is experiencing. In Dutch, the only translation for the English "I'm sorry" is "Het spijt me"- which means: I have regret. And here you definitely don't use it to show sympathy or empathy. I've tried, and it gets a defensive response or a confused one--which I guess makes sense, considering the translation. I still haven't figured out the proper way to show sympathy or empathy. I'm not sure that those feelings are important to the Dutch. I'll have to do more research... :o)
I totally LOVE that I live in the age of internet, so that I can keep in touch with people via things like Skype, Facebook, and blogs! I'm so lucky! Now that I'm living over here the world feels so small. But I still miss ya! Happy Holidays!!!
Love from Holland...
xoxo
*Update* While I was writing this I got an email inviting me for an interview at a daycare! Wish me luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment